I supposed this is BREAKING NEWS! as I am finishing the last bits of my MG Strike Freedom today (decals/stickers/topcoat). From Ngee Khiong, many important information have been revealed:
- Will be the largest PG release in terms of volume when the Super Dragoon is expanded.
- Customized display base is included.
- Dynamic poses are possible using the base with adjustable angle of display.
- Extra finish enhancement for the golden interior that will be exposed in High Maneuver mode and Full Burst mode. Gimmicks are incorporated for the exposure of the parts.
3 major design points:
- Gimmick for the release of the Super Dragoon
* Sliding action of the Super Dragoon is linked to various mechanism of the wing when it’s released
- Complete new mold for the movable frame
* Movable joints combine with expandable golden parts
* Further improvement of the slide mechanism of the interior and exterior parts as compared to PG Strike Gundam, which will effectively expose the golden finish parts.
- New mechanism for the joint design
* New joint design for the waist and leg to handle the weight and stress of the model. Durability of the joints is improved while posing capability is retained.
Weapons and accessories: beam shield, beam rifle x2, “Xiphias 3″ railgun x2, Super Dragoon x8, display base.
Content: 55 runners in total, construction manual, commentary booklet, LED unit for the head, foil sticker, screw for LED lighting unit, spring x8, PET part for shield, clear sticker.
Packaging size is 600mm (width) x 400mm (height) x 180mm (depth).
December release, 26,250 Yen (inclusive of tax).
UPDATE: Supersize image of comparison with PG Red Frame. This time you can clearly see that the SF is almost a head or so taller than the RF o_o. Thanks to Bluefincorp for the image ;)
My positive thoughts:
- I hate to say this about a Gundam I hate… but that’s pretty good looking! VERY good looking! That Dragoon setup is pretty sweet!
- Display base looks like your usual rectangular base (Sky Grasper/00 Raiser)… don’t see anything special yet. Better than it being a special edition
- “Extra Finish enhancement” for the golden INTERIOR (keyword?)… I hope this means that it is not just the immediate outside and joints that are gold-plated. I would be SORELY disappointed if this is going to be half-assed just like the MG. The ENTIRE frame better be blinged out! Then again, this will pose a problem for topcoating…
- “Gimmicks are incorporated for the exposure of the parts”- This confirms at least SOME inner parts are plated I hope even if the entire frame won’t be… meaning anything that we could see, will be plated. This is perfectly fine too.
- Gimmick for the Super Dragoons… good thing it’s not a basic slide in/out like the MG- the dragoons cannot hang on the wings half-deployed as it will just slide right off. I like the setup in the photo!
- Complete new mold for frame and joint mechanism- Thank you Bandai for not being lazy on this one. Hopefully that also means minimal backheaviness.
- “Further improvement of the slide mechanism… effectively expose the golden finish parts”… yet more proof that the whole inner frame is plated? But how much can they improve on the Strike frame? That sounds pretty awesome since the Strike itself is pretty mobile…
- New joint design for the WAIST to handle the stress?! Improving the joint’s durability?! Retaining capabilities?! This sounds perfect… I’m holding you to your words, Bandai!
Now for my negative thoughts:
- Package dimension is relatively the same as the PG 00 Raiser it seems (no surprise)… so expect a huge luggage.
- 26000 yen… I’ll just put it at the same price as the 00 Raiser since it is only ever so slightly more expensive than it. For US folks, this is ~$300. Tack on another $90-100 EMS (no SAL for high-value items). Look forward to paying up to $350-400 total for this if you are planning on getting it from Japan! Even from US dealers, you’ll still be paying north of ~$300 because you’ll have to cover their shipping cost to import it! Yes, it is okay to cry about this.
- No mentioning of decals :(
- foil sticker? for what? OH GOD NO! NOT THE BEAM RIFLE COVER!… just kidding. No, seriously… foil stickers on a $300+ PG?
- So no actual “Full Burst” display setup…which is more than perfectly fine with me. As is, this thing would only fit on a wide bookshelf in the open.
- Hmm… just about everything looks good except that dinky getter beam-wannabe stomach cannon. It looks disproportionally tiny! It’s not like they have a hatch in that area, so why not stretch it out to near the bottom of the waist?
Alright, Bandai… consider my interest piqued.
UPDATE: Super-sized image out! Seriously, click on it… it’s huge xD